A Potpourri of Points
There are countless ways to update and enhance your home environment. The simplicity of the following five tips belie the extent of the effect they can have on your surroundings.
1. Paint color can make the difference between drab and dramatic. Consider adding a new hue to a main room. If you don’t want to paint the whole room, try an accent wall or paint a piece of furniture.
2. Make overnight guests comfortable. Add luxury to your guest bedroom with a soft throw, flowers and an out-of-the-way place for them to stash their luggage. In the bath, add luxury spa products like lotions, plush towels and candles.
3. Consider safety. When you select design elements for you home, don’t overlook safety issues, especially if you have children or elderly family members in your home.
4. Freshen your entry. Welcome visitors by hanging a seasonally appropriate wreath on your front door (pastel in the spring, pine green in winter) or place potted plants along the walkway. Inside, place a vase of fresh flowers on a table.
5. Change your lighting for a quick design update. For a dramatic change, swap a fixture for one in a new style. Install dimmer switches to create a different ambiance as your use of a room changes.
Lynn Morris, IIDA, Allied ASID, NKBA, USGBC
Director of Communications ASID | Design Principal
Touch of Tradition – Home
7313 Carroll Road, Suite D
San Diego, CA 92121
Join the San Diego Chapter of ASID on October 26th for the 2013 Kitchen & Bath Tour. Visit asidsandiego.org for ticket sales and tour details. See new design elements, products and take away ideas for your projects.