Update Your Kitchen
Kitchen remodeling increases the function and resale value of a home and is one of the best investments a homeowner can make. A well-designed kitchen provides comfort, function and beauty and can bring a 75 to 90 percent return on your investment when you sell your home. Here are some smart kitchen updates:
- Add an island to provide workspace and additional seating.
- Install energy-efficient appliances to lower utility bills.
- Change to an open floor plan to allow for a sensible and easy flow from task to task.
- Organize cabinetry storage to eliminate clutter. Use one or two pullout drawers for pots (they’re easier to see that way). Provide upright space for odd-shaped or large items like cookie sheets and platters. Use the inside of doors for pot lids, grocery bags, etc. Use tiered racks for spices. Install lazy Susans in corner cabinets.
- Add a computer station as an area to pay bills, do homework or plan meals.
- Make sure you have proper, energy-efficient lighting that includes focused, shadow-free task lighting, general lighting (such as recessed cans) and accent lighting (such as the lighting used inside cabinets to make glassware glow).
- Replace or repair old sinks and faucets for beauty and practicality.
Vanessa Banks, Banks Interiors