Ham It Up
Leftover Easter ham inspired this truffle-perfumed quiche by award-winning pastry chef Jack Fisher of La Jolla’s popular Nine-Ten restaurant and bar. He serves it at home for spring Sunday brunch along with a light spring salad or fresh fruit and, of course, mimosas.
Truffled Ham and Parmesan Cheese Quiche
1 9-inch pre-made pie shell
1 1/2 cups country ham or other high-quality ham, diced
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon, or to taste, white truffle oil
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Place a sauté pan over high heat until hot. Add canola oil and heat for 30 seconds. Add the ham and cook until the ham is slightly golden on the edges, about 3-4 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and place on paper towels until cool.
2. In a blender, combine eggs, half-and-half, pepper, salt and white truffle oil. Blend on medium-high speed for 20 seconds.
4. Place ham and both cheeses in the pie shell and cover with egg mixture until just under the top of the pie shell.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until set in middle. Use the tip of a small knife to test the center. The top of the quiche should brown slightly.
6. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes. (Can be made up to two days ahead and reheated as needed.)