Freshen Up With Paint
Design tip from Lori Hollis, Allied Member ASID
Interior Domain specializes in remodels, new construction, and kitchen and bath design. Its goal is to create homes that are a reflection of your family and your own individual style.
Looking for an easy and inexpensive way to update your home? Painting your walls or ceilings a new color can make a huge difference in a very short period of time. Try these tips for selecting the right color for your home:
- Most important: Take the time to select the color. Purchase a small sample or quart to test out at home. The paint color will continue to change as it dries. Wait two days before making a final decision.
- Keep in mind any color sample will look a shade darker against a white wall. Once the entire room is painted, the color will lighten up by at least one shade.
- Select your finish. For high drama and style, try high-gloss paint. This works great for bedrooms, dining rooms and powder baths. I love the new flat-finish, washable paints that are available. It makes cleaning and touch-ups so much easier.
- Accent walls can add an extra punch of color without overwhelming a space. Try the headboard wall in your bedroom. In the living areas try one wall or two adjoining walls. The goal is to add a focal point without creating a choppy look.
- Don’t forget the ceilings. They don’t have to be white anymore. Take the wall color and have it mixed 50-percent lighter. Another look is to go with the same color as the walls. Don’t be afraid to go dark for super-high ceilings. It will bring the ceiling down to a more human scale and warm up the space.