Recipe from bar manager and mixologist Grey Lockwood
Brazen BBQ Smokehouse and Bar
441 Washington St., Hillcrest
Brazen BBQ Smokehouse and Bar is located in the heart of Hillcrest, and presents a perfect laidback dining experience. You’ll want to spend relaxing summer afternoons on their deck, sampling the new Saloon Specials while tempting your taste buds with some of the best barbecue Southern California has to offer.
Brazen’s new Saloon Specials introduce some artfully combined twists to the usual cocktail fare. Their new local favorite, the Blazin’ Sunrise, is a unique blend of spiced rum, pineapple juice, ginger beer and fresh habanero for a burst of flavor that will find taste buds dancing the day (or night) away.
1 slice fresh habanero*
2 ounces Crusoe organic spiced rum
1/2 lime, fresh squeezed
1 ounce pineapple juice
Ginger beer to fill
1 lemon wedge
- Wash habanero pepper. Remove the stem and cut the pepper in half. Remove ribs and seeds with a teaspoon. Slice.
- Muddle habanero slice, Crusoe rum and lime juice in a shaker.
- Top with ice and pineapple juice and shake.
- Strain into an ice-filled Collins glass and fill with ginger beer.
- Top with a splash of grenadine and a lemon wedge garnish.
*Habaneros are one of the hottest varieties of peppers, so use caution when slicing. Wear thin rubber gloves and avoid touching your face and eyes.