Recipe from chef Caitlin Gleyo
The Cosmopolitan Hotel and Restaurant
2660 Calhoun St., Old Town
The Cosmopolitan Hotel and Restaurant is part of a historic inn that was built between 1827 and 1829 as the home of Juan Bandini. It is situated in Old Town State Park and is the oldest standing building in San Diego. The menu reflects the many cultures that influenced Old Town’s culinary development: Mexican favorites, American grill and seafood.
“I actually came up with this recipe when the Cosmopolitan was looking for a signature breakfast pastry to serve to hotel guests in the morning,” says chef Caitlin Gleyo. “I added the cornmeal for texture and as a twist to traditional scones. Before the scones are baked they are brushed with milk and dusted with sugar, giving them a sweet and crispy touch. I serve them with my homemade mixed-berry jam. They pair well with a cup of tea or coffee.”
Sweet and Crispy Scones
Makes 12 scones
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons orange zest
1 cup heavy cream
1 whole egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl with a paddle attachment.
- In a separate bowl, mix cream, egg and vanilla extract.
- Add wet mixture to dry and mix on low speed until combined.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll dough out to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Cut out 12 individual scones with a biscuit cutter and place them on a baking sheet. Brush with milk and dust with sugar. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 15 minutes.